Veggie Pasta Shells (Oamc)
As with all of us, I'm trying to get more veggies in my child. Here is one way to slip some in without them noticing?
- Ready In:
- 24 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 10 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 28 ounces spaghetti sauce
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse, drain, and let cool.
- In a large saucepan, heat broth to boiling. Stir in carrots, potatoes and onions and cook 3-4 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Drain vegetables well. (You can mash these up a bit if that's what it takes to hide the veggies!) Combine with ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese in a large bowl. Stir in Italian seasoning. Fill each cooked and cooled shell with this cheese mixture.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 9x13" baking pan. Arrange stuffed shells in a single layer on the sauce. Pour remaining sauce over top. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese.
- To freeze, refrigerate at this point until cold. Then wrap, label, and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat, thaw whole casserole overnight in refrigerator. Bake as directed below, adding 15-20 minutes to baking time. To thaw and reheat individual shells, microwave on 40% power for 2-4 minutes until thawed. Then microwave on 60% power for 1-3 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Very tasty! We took the hint from JillAZ and filled up a baggie with the filling, snipped the end and filled the shells. That worked very nicely! I used chicken broth instead of veggie broth (didn't have any) but ptherwise followed the recipe as written. I didn't have to "hide" the veggies so next time, I'll add MORE veggies and maybe some spinach. Thanks for posting; this goes in the rotation!