Vegetarian Samosa Pie Casserole
This recipe (from cooktopcove) tastes amazingly like the samosas you you get in Indian restaurants -- in fact, you might want to make the mint dipping sauce to accompany it! For a more finished look, brush the top crust with beaten egg.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, large diced
- 1 lb carrot, large diced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 2 cups peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pie crusts (ready-made)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Boil potatoes and carrots in salted water until tender. Drain. Mash potatoes and carrots with a potato masher or a fork.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan on medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, until ginger and garlic are slightly brown and aromatic.
- Add onions and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until onions are tender.
- Add cumin seeds and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Adjust heat as needed.
- Add turmeric and paprika, and bloom for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add potato and carrot mix, peas, cilantro, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix well so that everything is fully incorporated.
- Line a pie dish with one of the pie crusts. Spread the potato mixture over the pie crust. Cover the top with the other pie crust and crimp the edges. Cut 3 to 4 slits in the crust so steam can release during baking. Bake in oven for 35 minutes, or until filling is hot and crust in a nice golden brown.