Vegetarian Planet Asparagus Wasabi Tempura
photo by MissTiff16
- Ready In:
16 asparagus spears
- 16 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 -2 teaspoon wasabi powder, to taste (for me, more is better!)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 2 cups vegetable oil, about
- Combine flour, cornstarch, salt, sugar, baking powder, ginger and wasabi powder.
- Add water and beer to the flour mixture; whisk slowly until smooth.
- In a saucepan or skillet at least 8 inches in diameter, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Test oil by dropping in 1/2 teaspoon of batter.
- If it bubbles and fizzes right away, oil is hot enough.
- Dip an asparagus spear into the batter, then carefully into the hot oil.
- Add 7 more, and fry them all 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove them to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat with remaining 8 asparagus spears.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Five Stars for the batter and ease of doing. Taste? I followed the recipe. I used 2 tsp. wasabi. If one wants a wasabi punch, you would have to add a lot more. DH & I never tasted it when I followed your instructions. We dunked what I made in home made horseradish sauce, Wow! your batter on a veggie and the horseradish sauce pulled it all together, We have tried a lot of batter recipes, but, yours will be our favorite. Can't wait to use more veggies with your batter. Thank You, "Big Time"!