Vegetarian Mushroom Shepherd's Pie - With Vegan Version
This dish is an absolutely must-try for all of you vegans/vegetarians who sometimes miss the taste of meat.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 kg red potatoes
- 100 g textured soy protein granules
- 1 kg mushroom (I used champignons)
- 1 carrot
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 bunch dill, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs (or egg substitutes for vegans, you can also add 3-4 tbsp dry yeast flakes)
- sea salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- Peel the potatoes and put them in a large pot filled with water. Boil them until they're tender. Mash them and let them cool for a while.
- Chop the mushrooms, carrot and red bell pepper. Add them into your food processor and pulse until all ingredients are well mixed together.
- Heat 2 tbsp of sunflower oil in a large skillet. Add the mixture above, diced onions, chopped dill and parsley, soy granules, eggs ( or egg substitutes + dry yeast flakes) and spices. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- * I added the soy granules without boiling them because the mushrooms contain a lot of water and these soy granules will absorb all excess water.
- Put some parchment paper on the bottom of a casserole. Divide the mashed potatoes in two. Place the first half in the casserole and spread it with a spatula. Add the filling. Place over the other half of mashed potatoes.
- Heat your oven at 392Ëš. Put the casserole in the oven. Cook for 40 minutes.
- Don't serve immediately. Let it cool for at least half an hour.
- *Textured soy protein substitute: Use 1,5-2kg of mushrooms instead of just 1kg. Add 3-4 tbsp of breadcrumbs(optional). I used soy granules only for economical purposes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I added butter & green onions to potatoes. Veggie mix smelled good when processing and great when cooking. 10 before baking was complete I added shredded cheddar cheese on top. Then I served with a dollop of sour cream on top, a little hot sauce set this recipe off the charts. My whole family loved it, kids too. I am the only aspiring vegetarian in my family, so for them to all like this recipe is stellar. We'll definitely remake this one.
YUM! This is one of the heartiest vegetarian recipes I've ever made! I converted the measurements to American units and adjusted the amounts. See my blog post for details: http://veganomics101.wordpress.com/2012/02/04/mushroom-shepherds-pie/<br/>I also added margarine and soy milk to the potatoes and soy sauce to the filling. <br/>Thank you for posting this; I loved loved loved it!