Vegetarian Kharcho (Spicy Georgian Soup)
- Ready In:
6 bowls of soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 20 g butter
- 100 g walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 6 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons hot spice blend (khmeli-suneli)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dill, chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Sautee the onion in butter until soft but not yet brown.
- Add water, walnuts, half cilantro, garlic, pepper flakes, and rice. Bring to boil,
- Add crushed tomatoes, bring to boil and lower the heat. Cook until the rice is ready, approximately 30 minutes.
- Add khmeli-suneli and salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Take off the heat. Add the rest of cilantro, dill, and parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was a really tasty soup. I've made it twice now. First time I seared 2 pieces of beef osso bucco when cooking the onions when continued as per the recipe, second time I dustd some chicken thighs and did the same.<br/> It was tasty but needed much more salt than the recipe stated. I think a little less rice would have been better also because it became really really thick once the rice had expanded. I'll definitely be making this again though, great for winter. PS I got my Khmeli-Suneli spice mix when we were in Tbilisi (Georgia).
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a programmer living in Boston, Mass area. Pet peeve: people being jerks on the internet because they are anonymous, and their target won't be able to respond.