Vegetarian Doro Wat (West African Stew/Curry)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
One of the best-known of all African recipes, substituting tofu for chicken.
- Ready In:
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra firm tofu, pressed and cut into serving-size pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons ghee
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (cleaned, scraped, and chopped (about a teaspoon)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste or 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- hard-boiled egg, pierced with a toothpick (1 per person) (optional)
- 1) Cook the onions over medium heat for a few minutes in a dry (no oil) pot or Dutch Oven, large enough to eventually hold all of the ingredients. Stir constantly to prevent them from browning or burning; reduce heat or remove the pot from the heat if necessary.
- 2) Add the butter to the onions, along with the garlic, ginger, fenugreek, cardamom, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and paprika,and tomato. Stir and simmer for a few minutes. The onions should be soft, tender, and translucent, but not browned.
- 3) Add the stock and dry red wine. Bring the mixture to a low boil while stirring gently. Cook for a few minutes, then reduce heat. Take a few tablespoons of broth out of the pot and mix it in a small bowl with the cornstarch until lumps are gone. Stir into the pot.
- 4) Add the tofu pieces, making sure to cover them with the sauce. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 5) After the tofu has gotten warmed, add salt and pepper to taste. Then gently add the hard-boiled eggs and ladle sauce over them.
- 6) Serve hot. The only traditional way to serve doro wat is with a spongy flat bread called injera, which can only be properly made with difficult-to-obtain teff flour. Doro wat is also very good with Couscous, Rice, or Middle-Eastern or Indian style flat bread.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION