Vegetarian Dog in a Blanket
- Ready In:
- 2 (8 ounce) packages Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls (8 rolls)
- 1 (16 ounce) package vegetarian hot dogs (Morningstar or Lightlife)
- 8 slices American cheese or 8 slices monterey jack pepper cheese, for a kick
- Separate crescent rolls into rectangles (consists of two triangles not divided down cross perforation).
- Place one slice on cheese on each rectangle.
- Place one veggie dog on each roll.
- Wrap the roll around the veggie dog and knead the dough together slightly to make a continuous wrap.
- Pinch both ends around each dog to completely enclose the cheese and dog inside the dough.
- Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 13 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are a great idea for those of us that don't eat meat, and I just love the cheese idea! However, I do have one suggestion that has helped me turn out a better PIB through the years. Instead of placing the frozen dogs right straight from the freezer, to the unbaked crescent roll, I boil the dogs first, then place on a paper towel and pat as much of the moisture up as possible BEFORE baking. This small step will prevent your piggie's from making the crescent roll soggy.
We used to make these all the time except we just put a slit down the hot dog, put some cheese in the slice and rolled up in a crescent triangle. Your way I don't have to worry about having the slit side up so the cheese run out. Tastes just as good! This is definitely a quick and easy family favorite! Thanks for the helpful hints.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a vegetarian college student. I am a theatre (Stage Management) major and I love sewing, knitting and other general crafts too. I also love to read and study history. My hobby revolves around this website. I am an amateur chef and I adore cooking for my family. I am also a sugar-aholic. Although I think I'm a better cook, I love to bake to appease my sweet-tooth.