Vegetarian Cream-Style Corn Soup (China)
photo by BLUE ROSE
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 garlic cloves, slices
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped (optional)
- Over medium heat in a large saucepan, heat the oil, then add garlic & shallots, cooking 3 to 5 minutes, until softened, & stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable stock & bring to a boil. stir in fish sauce, wine & corn, & while stirring, pour in the eggs in a slow stream so they cook in thin strands.
- Garnish, if you like, with the chopped cilantro & serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My expectation was a version of the velvet corn soup at a Chinese restaurant. This is much thinner, more like broth based egg drop soup. Thickness aside, the soup is delicious! It was super easy, uses items regularly in my pantry, and super quick to make. All of the flavors meld together to create a bowl of tasty soup. I used fish sauce and liked it with the sherry. Nothing was overpowering. I now have this in my quick lunches cookbook & will be making it again. Made for the ZWT6~ Asia. Thanks Syd! :-)