Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
After reading recipe after recipe for breakfast casseroles, I couldn't find one that I liked so I made this one up. Amazingly Sam liked it and went back for seconds. Its quick and dumb easy and requires a minimal amount of prep time, leftovers freeze well too. Enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1 (8 ounce) box Morningstar Farms vegetarian breakfast links
- 4 -8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (depending upon taste)
- 1 cup milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 (6 ounce) package yellow cornbread mix (read ingredients to makes sure there’s no lard or other animal fats in the mix)
- 1 -2 dash cholula brand hot sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 10” glass pie pan with non-stick cooking spray – set aside.
- Heat breakfast links in microwave until warm, remove from microwave and chop up.
- Combine the corn bread mix, eggs, milk, hot sauce, mustard, and cayenne pepper in large mixing bowl – either beat by hand or using an electric mixer or food processor – set aside.
- In pie pan layer the chopped breakfast links to cover the bottom.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread the grated cheese evenly over the sausage.
- Pour cornbread, egg and milk batter over the sausage and cheese.
- Place in preheated oven bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Let rest 10 minutes, slice and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I have made this twice and thought this was really tasty after a few modifications. First, I prefer the MSF patties rather than the links for my taste. Second, I thought alot more hot sauce was required for flavor. I am NOT a hot sauce person by ANY means, but it was too bland the first time. My husband used about 1 T. of Gator Sauce brand hot sauce (not terribly hot, but has good flavor). Also, be careful not to overcook lest the cheese harden.<br/><br/>Several friends asked me for the recipe and I will definately make this again!Reply