Vegetable Noodle Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 12 ounces egg noodles or 12 ounces thin egg noodles, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can italian roma tomatoes, cut up and juice reserved
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth or (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 (12 ounce) cans white cannellini beans or (12 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- While noodles are cooking, heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute onion, stirring until pale golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, carrots and celery and saute until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and reserved juice, broth, water, oregano, basil, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cooked noodles.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Sprinkle some of the parmesan cheese and chopped parsley on each serving of soup, or stir into saucepan prior to serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I thought this was just okay. It wasn't anything I would crave again. It probably was something I did in preparation and not the recipe because I did sub a few things with what I had. First, I put everything except the noodles and beans in the crock pot on low all day. About 2 hours before we ate, I added 2 c of whole wheat macaroni and 2 cans of kidney beans. I think the main thing I did was use the leaves of the celery as I have heard that is where the flavor is. So, my soup tasted a lot like celery, and I don't particularly care for celery. Thus, I think it was my fault. I did use a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes for the tomatoes. Overall it wasn't bad; I would just need to figure out how to tweak it a little. I love the idea of this soup.