Vegetable and Herb Broth
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium leeks, cleaned, trimmed, and cut into chunks
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (2 cups)
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced (may sub minced)
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Combine water, leeks, celery, carrots, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns and salt in a large pot.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 1.5 hours.
- Strain broth through a fine sieve, pressing down on the solids to extract liquid and flavor.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Oh how easy to make and how tasty to eat! I used all of the suggested herbs, straight from my garden, and also popped a bit of red pepper that I had lying around in to the broth too. We ate this with French bread and I popped the rest into the freezer for later. Made for the Veggie recipe swap in the Vegetarian forum and VERY much enjoyed thanks JB! FT:-)
An all-purpose vegetable broth for soups, rice, etc. They state that you can make it into a light sauce for ravioli by reducing it over medium heat, uncovered, for about 15 minutes until it is almost syrupy. Broth can be made ahead of time; it can be kept covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Recipe from Whole Foods.