Vegan Tarka Dahl
photo by FLKeysJen
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 30mins
- 2 inches fresh ginger, skinned and fine diced
- 2 teaspoons black onion seeds
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon molasses or 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large onions, finley chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander, leaf
- 100 g frozen spinach (or fresh)
- 1 cup yellow split peas (I think chana dahl?)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable ghee
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Soak the yellow split peas overnight, drain and rinse.
- Add to pan of cold water. add veg stock cube and garam masala.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until soft, drain and set aside.
- Heat the mustard and onion seeds in a frying pan until the mustard seeds start to pop usually about 30 secs to a minute; add the ghee and oil and bring to a high heat.
- Add the onions, stirring frequently. Turn down the heat and add the garlic and ginger. Stir and cook for a further two minutes and add the spices, stirring well.
- Add the cooked yellow split peas, adding a little more oil or ghee if necessary. Add the spinach and molasses/sugar and a 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a low simmer and cook gently for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with naan bread.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Liked it! I've never tried dahl before and this was good. It's amazing that with this amount and variety of spices, it comes together as a cohesive final dish. The peas were not soft even after an hour of simmering so next time I'll simmer them for a couple hours or increase the heat. Also it was a little dry so I'd recommend the additional oil or creamed coconut. Made for Pick a Chef Spring 2008.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
im a community trainer specializing in food and allergies, vegan mum to 2 veggie squidges, theres loads more so see my site :)