Vegan " Sharp Cheddar Cheese"
I got this recipe from hillbillyhousewife.com, but a reviewer has informed me that this is originally from Joanne Stepaniak's "Uncheese Cookbook." (Thanks!) I think it tastes best after mellowing in the fridge overnight. This "cheese" may be sliced thinly and used on sandwiches. It is magnificent with sliced tomatoes or fried tofu. It makes a decent grilled "cheese" sandwich, especially with some fake bacon. This recipe does not taste exactly like real dairy cheese. I think it tastes better than soy cheese though, and when you have been without dairy cheese for a while, this cheeze is remarkable satisfying. Agar works just like gelatin. Gelatin is made from animal bones and hooves. Agar is made from sea vegetables. Powdered agar can replace gelatin measure for measure. One tablespoon agar flakes is equal to 1 teaspoon powdered agar.
- Ready In:
- 5 teaspoons powdered agar-agar or 5 tablespoons agar-agar flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 1⁄3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1⁄2 cup pimiento
- 3 -4 tablespoons lemon juice, depending on how sharp you want it
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- Begin by combining the agar and tap water in a small sauce pan.
- Heat over a medium flame, stirring often.
- When the mixture boils, reduce the heat a bit.
- Allow the agar to boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir often to prevent burning and to make sure that all of the agar dissolves.
- Meanwhile, measure all of the other ingredients into a blender container.
- When the agar is finished boiling, carefully pour it into the blender container.
- Place the lid on the blender and whizz it on high for about a minute.
- Stop, scrape down the sides, replace the lid and whizz again, for about another minute.
- The mixture should be very smooth and the same orange color as dairy cheddar.
- Pour the mixture into a small, lightly oiled loaf pan.
- The pan I use is about 3 by 7 inches.
- Place the pan in the refrigerator and allow it to chill until firm.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very good basic recipe for a vegan cheese. I did have to add more water to the agar mixture because it dried up quickly, but I think better at 1\2 cup as my cheese was more like Velveeta cheese in texture. I also used roasted sweet red peppers from a jar for the pimentoes, roasted garlic powder (added 1 tsp), Grey Poupon mustard for the mustard (which has both wine and spices in it), 1\2 tsp smoked paprika and 1\2 tsp salt, along with the other ingredients (3 Tblsp lemon juice). It ended up, with my additions, with a wonderful smoked peppery taste that was quite delicious! Also had the same orange color that cheddar cheeses have.Reply