photo by Ivansocal
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons fat-free margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1 (5 ounce) can rotel (any kind you like, or you could use 1C of salsa instead)
- Combine dry ingredients first in a small saucepan.
- Add water.
- Whisk CONSTANTLY over medium heat until mixture is well incorporated. (If you don't constantly whisk it, the sauce will become lumpy!).
- Add margarine and Rotel and mix for about another minute or so.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made an account here at food.com just to review this delicious queso! :)<br/>It is absolutely the solution to my cheese cravings as a vegan. It's salty and cheesy and creamy... it really does taste like a gourmet queso. Y.U.M! Oh my goodness, so quick and easy and delicious. I was skeptical that it would taste like cheese, but it does. Doing a happy dance over here!<br/><br/>The only thing you should know is that the color is not "orangey" like other quesos and cheeses. Instead, it's a darker orange like the color of pumpkin pie. This is because of the paprika you add. Don't let that scare you, though, it is DELICIOUS!
I made this last night and it was amazing! It tastes and smells just like how I remember the real thing. It made a great sauce for nachos while warm, and it was still really good as a dip after being in the fridge. The only thing I would change for the next time I make it is cutting the salt down a little as it was almost too salty.
see 7 more reviews
Made this last night, with some changes. As Con-Agra is evil, I just used salsa instead of rotel. I added chili powder, onion powder, and cumin to taste as I made the recipe, and a dash of cayenne. Unfortunately, I didn't have "fat-free" margarine... so I just used regular, though I am going to try cutting down on it next time. My husband said it was "the best nacho sauce I've ever had". :)