Vegan Pumpkin Scones With Maple Brown Sugar Glaze
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 7 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup margarine
- 7 1⁄2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon soymilk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice). Cut in margarine, adding a bit at a time until mixed. Add pumpkin and combine well.
- Knead the dough in the bowl until well mixed.
- Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray. Flour your hands, and form the dough into small triangles, using about 1/8 cup of dough for each mini-scone.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. If the edges are turning brown, it's time to take them out!
- Powder the brown sugar in a blender or food processor until it resembles confectioners sugar.
- Melt the margarine in a small pot. Remove from heat before the margarine burns, and add the powdered brown sugar, soy milk, and maple syrup. Mix well.
- Drizzle the glaze over the scones and allow to cool before serving (if you can wait that long!).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We found the flavor to be absolutely wonderful, but had some trouble with the recipe. At the suggested scone size, this made a LOT more than 36 scones... it made at least double that amount. (A math check against the recipe will show this as well). Also, we prefer a more "scone-y" (traditional English, dry/mealy) texture and we found these to be a bit more like American muffins. We couldn't get the glaze to work. Again, though, the flavor was just delightful.