Vegan Lentil Soup W Lemon and Garlic
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 250 g red lentils, rinsed and picked over (9 oz /1 large generous cup)
- 1 liter vegetable stock (4 cups, check gluten-free if required)
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 lemons, halved
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (more if preferred) or 1/4 teaspoon a pinch cayenne pepper
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 thin lemon slices (to garnish)
- flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the celery, carrots the potato and half of the garlic (2 cloves). Cook for a few minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Add the lentils and stock to the pan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, remaining garlic and half of the lemons (lemons-skin and all). Cook the soup a further 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Squeeze the juice from the remaining lemons, then stir into the soup.
- Pour the soup into a food processor or blender, process until smooth. It's better to do this step in a couple of batches.
- Transfer the blended soup back to the pan.
- Stir in the cumin, tobasco or cayenne and season to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each with a couple of thin lemon slices and a sprinkle of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!