Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 20mins
- 1 vegan pie crusts
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 3⁄4 cup lowfat silken tofu
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely ground lemon zest
Tofu Whipped Topping
- 3⁄4 cup lowfat silken tofu, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons hazelnut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Place water, tofu, sugar, cornstarch, oil and salt in a blender.
- Process until smooth.
- Pour into a 2 qt sauce pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a wire whisk.
- After the mixture thickens reduce heat to low and continue cooking and stirring for 1 minute longer.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and zest.
- Pour hot filling into pie crust.
- Cover the top of the pie with waxed paper to prevent a skin from forming.
- Chill the pie for 8 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, remove the waxed paper.
- Spread the top with tofu whipped topping.
- You can substitute lime for lemon.
tofu whipped topping:
- Place all of the ingredients in the blender and process for several minutes until completely smooth.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!