Vegan Cream Sauce/Gravy
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (or vegan margarine)
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups plain soymilk (unsweetened)
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vegan chicken style flavoring or 1 teaspoon vegan beef style flavoring
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- Mix up the soy milk (if making it from powdered mix) in a blender.
- Add 1/2 cup raw cashews. Blend.
- Put oil or margarine in sauce pan and heat over medium heat. Add flour and stir with whisk. Add a little more oil if necessary.
- As soon as flour and oil mixture begins bubbling, add soy milk and cashews to flour and oil mixture, and stir till smooth. (It is OK if cashews are not completely ground up.).
- Add salt, flavoring and onion powder. (For cream sauce I tend to use vegetarian chicken flavoring, and for gravy, vegetarian beef flavoring.).
- Stir well.
- Continue to stir as it cooks and thickens, to avoid lumps.
- When thickened and bubbling evenly, it is done.
- It works great as a pasta sauce at this thickness. If necessary, thin slightly with water or soy milk, to consistency desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am on a very low sodium version of the D.A.S.H. diet to control my hypertension. Because of this, I have to cook everything from scratch, as canned foods, prepared mixes and ready-made food all have too much sodium in them. Fortunately, my mother was one of those cooks who could always make good food by throwing together a little of this and a little of that -- most of the time without measuring ingredients -- and I seem to have inherited her knack for cooking.