Vegan Clam-Free Chowder
photo by magpie diner
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 lb oyster mushroom, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cauliflower, cut into large pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, saute 1 tablespoon margarine and oyster mushrooms for 7 minutes, then set aside.
- In a blender, grind cashews to a fine powder, then add 1 cup vegetable broth. Blend until completely smooth.
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon margarine, onion, cauliflower, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, then add bay leaves, thyme, white pepper, remaining vegetable broth, cashew mixture, and salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low heat and cook for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Using either an immersion blender or regular blender, blend until completely smooth. Add potatoes and cook over low heat for 40 minutes. Stir in the smoke flavor and the mushrooms. Serve hot, garnished with a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of parsley.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We really enjoyed this soup! It has quite a few steps, but still do-able in one pot. The creamy soup base made partly of cashew nuts is fantastic, I would have enjoyed it even without adding the mushrooms & potatoes in, (of course the mushrooms are the highlight). I'm not a big fan of oyster mushrooms so I used regular button instead. This is definitely a chowder, extremely thick. When Emily says to simmer on low in the last step, she means it...it's very easy to burn. I think you could adjust the amount of broth based on how thick you like your soup, I found 2 cups not quite enough. Thanks Emily, I can't wait to try this again!
This is the best soup ever! I make it at least once a week; would make it more often but we have to eat other things, too! I'm WFPB no oil (Whole Food Plant Based and don't add any oil to anything), so I water saute the onions and mushrooms, also I leave out the liquid smoke and the oil. It's so amazingly good that there's nothing more to say! Thank you Emily for the recipe!
I am so impressed with this! Definite keeper. First time using oyster mushrooms and I love them in this. They do mimic that clam texture pretty well! It's been many moons since I had clams or cream based chowder and I was on cloud 9 here. Husband eats regular clam chowder all the time and he fought me for the pot. I would add more water/broth next time. In half the cooking time mine had simmered down to a very thick chowder (out of which we got 2 large servings so I'll also double the recipe!)