Vegan Chocolate Orange (Jaffa) Cupcakes
A recipe I found floating around on the internet, based on Jaffa candy, which I vegan-ized. We like to serve these with a simple chocolate buttercream icing in which the milk is replaced with orange juice. They're also great with your traditional chocolate buttercream, too!
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup earth balance butter substitute, softened
- 3⁄4 cup self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange rind, finely grated
- Blend cocoa powder and hot water.
- Combine the sugar, butter substitute, flour, baking powder and applesauce in a bowl. Beat for 3 to 4 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Put half the mixture into a second bowl. Fold the orange juice and rind into one bowl. Fold the cocoa-water into the other bowl.
- Spoon the two mixtures evenly into lined or greased cupcake tins. Draw a knife through the mixture to create a marble effect.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.