Vegan Cherry Bon-Bon Cookies
photo by marisavick
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
For the cookie
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (Vegan option -- I use Earth Balance)
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar (yegan powdered sugar is available)
- 2 tablespoons original soymilk (elect almond milk if baking for someone with soy allergies)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 24 maraschino cherries (Merry Cherry brand as a non-GMO, non-dyed, vegan option)
For the icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar (elect vegan option)
- 1 tablespoon margarine (vegan Earth Balance)
- 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice (reserved from jar)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Drain maraschino cherries in a collander, reserving the liquid in a small cup, bowl or jar. Dry off cherries with a paper towel, tossing around to remove all excess juice that may gather at the bottom of the collander. Set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, cream Earth Balance and vegan powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add soymilk and vanilla extract. In a seperate bowl combine flour and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- 4. Gather any loose moist crumbs with your hands and press together to form a ball of dough. Divide dough into 24 portions; shape each portion around a cherry. Try to handle lightly and as quick as possible to prevent your hands from getting greasy. Dough should fit around each cherry with no air bubbles inside. Pinch and smooth the dough together and roll around in palms. For a more perfect domed "bon-bon" shape, press cookie into a circle tablespoon, and remove gently to retain shape. Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 5. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 6. For glaze, combine the powdered sugar, melted Earth Balance and cherry juice until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Dust with additional powdered sugar if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!