Veal With Mushroom Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons carrots, minced
- 2 tablespoons celery, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 medium mushrooms, chopped finely
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup prosciutto ham, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 4 veal chops or 4 veal, scalloppine
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- In a small pan heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Place the onion, carrot and celery into the heated oil and cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the minced garlic and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Add the mushrooms, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and cook for 5 minutes longer, stirring often.
- Add 1 cup tomato sauce, 1/2 cup shredded prosciutto ham, 1 1/2 tbsp chopped capers and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Dip the veal into the flour and sprinkle with salt and pepper (amts at your discretion and taste).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and melt 1/3 cup butter. Saute the veal in the melted butter for 3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Add the mushroom sauce, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
The sauce was flavorful and tangy. And the veal was so moist and tender. I really loved this dish. It smelled really good while the sauce was cooking too, and my husband kept coming into the kitchen to see what I was preparing. Thanks for sharing your recipe, breezermom. Made for 2014 Culinary Quest (Italy). Yum.
You can use your choice of veal scallopine or veal chops....the scallopine is more expensive, but also more tender. Make the sauce first, quickly saute the veal, and simmer for 20 minutes in the sauce. A wonderful Italian veal dish! Adapted from "A Treasury of Great Recipes" by Mary and Vincent Price, credit given to Passetto's in Rome.