- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons lard (or more) or 1 tablespoon bacon fat and 2 tablespoons olive oil (or more)
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 1⁄2 lbs veal scallops, 1/4-inch-thick
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hungarian hot paprika or 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Melt lard in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions; cover skillet and cook until onions are soft, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add shallot; increase heat to medium-high and sauté until onions are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer onions and shallot to small bowl.
- Sprinkle veal with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, add veal scallops to drippings in skillet and sauté until browned, about 1 minute per side, adding more lard as needed and transferring veal to plate after each batch.
- Return onion mixture to skillet.
- Add tomatoes with juice, sweet paprika, hot paprika, and marjoram.
- Simmer 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Return veal and any accumulated juices to sauce.
- Simmer 1 minute, turning veal to coat.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer veal to platter.
- Mix sour cream into sauce and heat through (do not boil).
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour over veal and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!