- Ready In:
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 slices bacon, crisp-fried and crumbled
- Combine the potatoes, water, carrot, celery, onion, salt, and pepper in a 2-quart saucepan.
- Simmer, covered for 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Stir in the flour.
- Cook until bubbly, stirring constantly but do not brown.
- Stir the milk into the flour mixture.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Add the cheese.
- Cook until the cheese melts, stirring to blend well.
- Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with the bacon.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Super thick and delicious! I made this just as written, and then I added an extra cup of broth to thin it some (but it was still nice and thick). I loved that it uses everyday ingredients. It's the kind of soup that appeals to kids and adults. Some of us used the crumbled bacon for garnish and some didn't. It's wonderful either way. Thanx!
This recipe is now one of my all-time favorite soup recipes. It would be good for tailgate parties, brunches, or winter luncheons. I did add a couple extra potatoes just because I love them and I skipped the bacon, but I posted it as written. Recipe courtesy of Beyond Burlap, Idaho's Famous Potato Recipes Junior League of Boise. DELICIOUS!