Vanilla Polenta Oatmeal Streusel
photo by Mark F.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
900 grams (4 Cups)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (149 degrees Celsius).
- Cream the Butter and Sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until smooth. Scrape down the bowl. Add the Vanilla Extract and Lemon Zest and mix until well incorporated.
- Chef's Note: It is not necessary to beat the Butter and Sugar until very light and airy in texture, as with many other recipes, as trapped air is not necessary to leaven the final product.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients including the Flour, Corn Meal, Oats and Salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, stir in the dry ingredients in thirds. Continue mixing until the Streusel Dough is just combined.
- Using your hands, crumble the Streusel Dough in a thin layer onto a parchment or silpat lined sheet tray.
- Bake the Streusel for up to one hour, checking it every 15 minutes and breaking up any large pieces with a spatula. The Streusel is done when it begins to lightly brown and becomes dry and crumbly.
- Set the Streusel aside to cool. When it is fully cool, break up any remaining large pieces with your hands or in a food processor. Do not over-process the Streusel.
- Storage: The Streusel will keep well in an airtight container at room temperature for several weeks. The Streusel can also be frozen for several months.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
It's a timeless tale. A Vice President working at one of the top firms on Wall Street realizes he's wasted the better part of a decade slaving away at something he might be good at when he could have been doing something he loves. What does he do next? He quits his high paying job... starts a food blog... enrolls in culinary school... take a job with one of the most respected restaurant groups in New York City... and never looks back.