Vanilla Poached Pears
photo by Derf2440
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 4 large pears, halved, peeled, and cored or 8 small ish pears, peeled and left whole
- apple juice, to cover
- 1 1⁄2 inches piece fresh vanilla beans
- ground cinnamon
- mint sprig (to garnish)
- Place the pears in a large saucepan and pour apple juice in to cover the pears.
- Add vanilla bean and bring the pears to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer until tender, being careful not to burn.
- Allow pears to cool, then serve in the center of a dessert plate. Spoon sauce over the pears, then sprinkle with cinnamon powder and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Elegant, easy and delicious! I bought several fresh pears from a farm stand in NY while on vacation. Having never made poached pears before, I was happy to find this recipe. After the pears were tender, I removed them to a serving bowl and reduced the cider until almost syrupy and served that over the pears. My partner and I really liked these! Thank you for sharing!
This is an elegant dessert suitable for dinner guests but simple enough for a weeknight meal. I used red pears and vanilla extract. After cooling the pears, I plated them and then reduced the liquid by half with some cinnamon added. Spoon the sauce and add a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt to complete the presentation. Rave reviews from all and a house that smelled absolutely divine.
see 8 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in a small (but growing to be very large) town in Oklahoma. I am currently a student, studying library science. I like to cook and eat, play the piano and violin, and train and play with my two dogs. I don't have a single favorite cookbook, but of the ones I use, I like BHG the most. Their recipes are usually very good. I would say my passion is learning new things--and traveling to new places. I also enjoy writing fiction. Some of my pet peeves are: 99% of the drivers in Oklahoma; people who don't take good care of their pets; people with NO TASTE; intellectual psychobabble nonsense; boring people; the list goes on forever!