Vanilla Ice Cream Without a Machine
- Ready In:
- 8hrs 35mins
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- Whisk egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and salt until pale yellow and forms a ribbon, about 5 minutes (either by hand or in a stand mixer).
- Pour evaporated milk into a small saucepan and heat gently until it comes to a simmer. Whisking constantly, pour hot milk into eggs in a thin stream, until fully incorporated. Pour mixture back into saucepan and heat gently, whisking constantly, until temperature reaches 180Â°F. (It should be thick and custardy; if overheated, the eggs will scramble.) Transfer to a clean container, cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cold.
- Whip 1 c heavy cream until doubled in volume and soft peaks form. Fold into egg mixture with whisk just until no lumps are visible. Portion into ice cube trays and freeze until solid, about 4 hours.
- Transfer frozen custard into food processor and add remaining heavy cream. Process until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping down sides and breaking up lumps as necessary. Transfer to a clean quart-sized container and freeze until solid, about 4 hours. Remove from freezer about 5 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!