Vanilla Freezer Biscuits (Cookies) (With Variations)
From Australia's Super Food Ideas. At this stage times are estimated and have not included freezing time. Have estimated icing sugar mixture as recipe didn't specify.
- Ready In:
- 1 vanilla bean (halved lengthways)
- 250 g butter (softened)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar icing (to serve)
- Scrape seeds from vanilla bean (they advise you discard the bean but stick it in a canister of sugar and you will soon have vanilla sugar).
- Beat butter, sugar and bean seeds until pale and creamy using an electric mixer.
- Add egg and beat until combined.
- Sift flour over butter mixture and use a wooden spoon, stir to combine.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and divide in half.
- Using hands shape each half in a 30cm long log.
- Wrap each log in baking paper, twirling ends to seal.
- Freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
- Remove logs from freezer 15 minutes before slicing.
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C (160 C for fan forced).
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Remove paper from logs and slice into 1.5cm thick rounds.
- Place rounds, 3cm apart on prepared trays.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until light golden colour.
- Cool on trays for 5 minutes and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
- You can leave logs in freezer for up to 2 months, thaw for 1 hour before slicing and baking.
- Chocolate chips - Stir 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate chips at the end of step 4.
- Pistachio - Stir in 2/3 cups of roughly chopped pistachio kernels at the end of step 4.
- Citrus - Add 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon or orange rind with vanilla bean seeds in step 2.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 3 more