Union Square Cafe's Tuna Club Sandwich
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From an article in the NY times.
- Ready In:
For the lemon pepper aioli
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
For the poached tuna
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1⁄3 cup sliced celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 1 lb yellowfin tuna fillet, skinless, cut into 2 inch pieces
For the tuna salad
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 tablespoons diced red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons diced yellow bell peppers
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon julienned fresh basil leaf
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped mint
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh lemon juice
For the sandwich
- 12 slices sourdough bread, white or 12 slices whole wheat bread, lightly toasted
- 2 1⁄2 cups arugula, trimmed, washed and dried
- 8 slices thick slab bacon, 1/4 inch thick, cooked until crisp
- Make aioli: Combine egg yolks, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic and salt in a food processor.
- With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream through the feed tube until all the oil is absorbed and the mixture has the consistency of mayonnaise.
- Add pepper and mix 10 seconds.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Combine 4 cups water, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf and peppercorns in a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the tuna pieces and simmer until they are barely cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the cooked tuna from the cooking liquid to a bowl using a slotted spoon.
- While the fish is still warm, flake it into small pieces with a fork or your fingers.
- (The fish firms up as it cools and will not flake as nicely.) Cover loosely and let cool.
- Crush the fennel seeds between two sheets of waxed paper; dry fry in a small skillet until fragrant.
- Place in large bowl; add 1/2 cup aioli, the red and yellow peppers, onion, herbs and salt and set aside.
- Mix the flaked tuna into the fennel mixture.
- Combine well and taste for seasonings, adding salt, pepper and lemon juice as needed.
- (The tuna salad can be made ahead to this point without the herbs and refrigerated until the next day; stir in the herbs just before using.) Spread a slice of sourdough bread with the aioli, then with a spoonful of the tuna salad.
- Top with a few leaves of the arugula and one slice of bacon.
- Repeat with a second slice of sourdough.
- Stack one layer on top of another and finish by topping with a third slice of sourdough.
- Repeat to make three more club sandwiches.
- Slice each sandwich into halves or thirds and secure each piece with a toothpick.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION