Uncle Bill's Special and Favorite Potato Salad
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs, divided
- 8 large red potatoes or 8 large yukon gold potatoes, washed well, do not peel
- 5 green onions or 4 scallions, chopped small
- 10 large radishes, chopped into small cubes
- 4 large celery ribs, chopped small
- 1⁄2 cup chopped gherkins or 1/2 cup dill pickle
- 2 cups Miracle Whip (no subsitutes)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill weed
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons gherkin pickle juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Hungarian paprika, for sprinkle
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley (to garnish) (optional)
- Punch a hole in the small end of the eggs using an egg piercer.
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. When cooked, drain and cover with cold water to cool.
- When cooled,peel, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- In the meantime, scrub potatoes and add to a large saucepan or cooking pot. Cover with cold water and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for about 15 minutes just until the potatoes are fork tender. Do not overcook.
- Drain potatoes and let cool slightly.
- When cooled enough to handle, remove any skins using a paring knife and discard.
- Cut potatoes into about 1/2 inch cubes and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Using an egg cutter, cut 4 hard boiled eggs and add to bowl.
- Chop green onions, both green and white parts and add to bowl.
- Dice radishes to about 1/4 inch cubes and add to bowl.
- Dice celery into 1/4 inch cubes and add to bowl.
- Add chopped gherkins to bowl.
- Gently mix the ingredients to blend.
- In a mixing bowl, add Kraft Miracle Whip Mayonnaise, dry mustard, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, chopped dill weed, sugar, cider vinegar, pickle juice, granulated garlic powder, celery seed and mix well to blend.
- Add mixture to the large bowl and gently mix the ingredients until well mixed and coated.
- The potato salad should be quite moist, not dry and if necessary, add more mayonnaise to suit your taste.
- Transfer potato salad to a nice serving bowl.
- Cut the remaining 2 hard-boiled eggs into quarters and place on the top of the potato salad decoratively.
- Sprinkle over with Hungarian Paprika.
- Place a few sprigs of fresh parsley to decorate.
- Refrigerate potato salad for a least one hour before serving.
- Refrigerate any unused potato salad and it should be used within 3 days.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
"I live in Burnaby, British Columbia. I am retired and have written a cookbook entitled, From Uncle Bill's Kitchen. I am a recipe developer, author, publisher, distributor and a chef. My cookbook is very unique as I have a Nutrient Analysis for each ingredient used in each recipe that shows you the values for Calories, Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. A high-lighted bar shows the values on a per serving basis plus the Fat/Cal%. From Uncle Bill's Kitchen contains tried-and-true, tested, easy to follow reipes for both novice and experienced cooks. You'll find old Russian, Ukrainian, and other ethnic favorites, along with modern West Coast dishes. The Nutrient Analysis will please the health conscious. Uncle Bill's favorite recipes will reward efforts of the most creative cook and provide the family with many tantalizing, healthful meals. I have appeared on 48 various Television Shows in Vancouver, Burnaby, Kelowna and Kamploops, B.C. Canada, as well as in Palm Springs, CA. In Palm Springs, CA, I have been a Guest on the JACKIE OLDEN RADIO SHOW and THE JOEY ENGLISH RADIO SHOW, twice a year since 1998. I also do demo cooking shows at CHAPTERS BOOK STORES, SAVE-ON-FOOD STORES, GALLOWAY'S FOODS, WESTMINSTER PUBLIC QUAY MARKET, and in the U.S. at BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSTORES in Palm Springs, CA, Phoenix and Yuma, AZ. I was in Palm Springs, CA from June 10th to July 14th. 2002 and again appeared twice on the Jackie Olden Show, twice on the Joey English Show and pre-taped a TV COOKING SHOW with Jackie Olden that is aired on TV from Palm Springs, CA to Los Angeles, CA."
Join The Conversation
This is definitely not your typical potatoe salad. I think you could actually serve this as a meal in & of itself (it's very filling)on top of a bed of lettuce, accompanied with some bread or rolls. The flavors are a wonderful blend of mild, sharp & crunch. The next time I make this I'll planning to let it shine all by itself!