Uncle Bill's Macaroni With 3 Cheese
This is one of our favorite Mac & Cheese dishes. The tomatoes and onions just give it that added nice flavor. Easy to prepare.
- Ready In:
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk, homogenized
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1/2 teaspoon red hot sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, for rubbing inside of casserole dish
- 1⁄2 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1/2 cup padano cheese
- 28 fluid ounces Italian plum tomatoes, crushed (divided)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package instructions, al dente', about 15 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Stir in flour to form a paste; DO NOT LET IT BURN OR GO LUMPY.
- Slowly whisk in milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add salt, pepper and Tabasco or Red Hot Sauce.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese, stirring until blended.
- Butter a 9" x 9" ovenproof casserole dish.
- In a bowl, mix together elbow macaroni, cheese sauce and half of the tomatoes with juice.
- Transfer macaroni to the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle top with remaining 1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Add remaining 4 tablespoons of butter in dollops on top.
- Bake uncovered in preheated 350 F oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- Serve with the reamining crushed tomatoes and a sprinkle of chopped onions or chopped green onions.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Well, as Bev said, rich and creamy. With the addition of tomatos, it gives it a different than usual taste, didn't have any tabasco sauce around, so I just left it out, I added a bit more swiss cheese, as I only had about 1/4c. left after grating the 1/2c It turned out sooooooooo yummy! I will definatly make this again. Thank you William for a wonderful Mac and cheese recipe.1Reply
see 3 more