Un-Potato Salad (Low Carb)
For all you low carb dieters out there, don't feel like a carb outcast at your next picnic! The cauliflower stands in for potatoes on this dish. Some cooked, chopped bacon would be a nice addition.
- Ready In:
- 1 head cauliflower, washed and cut into small chunks
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute (or other sugar substitute)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- In a microwave safe casserole dish, add a Tbsp of water along with the chunked cauliflower.
- Cover and cook on High for 7 minutes until tender but not mushy; remove.
- Leave dish covered and let dish sit for another 3-5 minutes.
- Or, you can steam the cauliflower, until tender.
- In a large serving bowl, combine cauliflower with celery and onion.
- In a separate bowl, combine mayo, vinegar, salt, Splenda and pepper; pour this mixture over the cauliflower; mix well.
- Lightly stir in chopped egg.
- Chill and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This serves as a great base recipe for "unpotato" salad. I tend to like it better than actual potato salad, frankly. For myself, I made some modifications for my preferences. I like my vegetables finely chopped in potato salad, so I used 1-1/2 cups chopped celery, and just under one cup of chopped white onion. I was short on mayonnaise, using 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise, 1/2 cup sour cream instead. That worked out very well. I don't like Splenda, so I used a pinch of granulated sugar. Lastly, I added fresh parsley and dill to my taste - that took it to the next level for me. The fresh herbs really wake up all the flavors in this potato salad, and make all the difference. Overall, a great recipe! There is lots of opportunity for creativity, and I look forward to experimenting with the recipe again and again.Reply
I really enjoyed this recipe, I have to admit however; I modified it quite a bit due to our personal preferences. Instead of adding splenda and vinegar, I added 1 1/2 Tbsp of mustard and about 1/8th of a cup to 1/4 cup of pickle juice to the mayonaise mixture. I also added pickles to the salad as well. I found that 8 minutes steamed the cauliflower just right, not mushy, still slightly crunchy. I will definately be making this dish again. I've missed potato salad, glad to finally find a recipe that is comparable. thanks for sharing!Reply
see 12 more