- Ready In:
- light vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 4 teaspoons blackening seasoning
- 4 (4 ounce) catfish fillets
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400.
- spray the vegetable oil over baking sheet 3 times to coat.
- Put cornmeal, thyme, and basil on large plate and mix well.
- Sprinkle 1/8 tsp garlic powder, 1/8 tsp lemon pepper, and 1 tsp of blackening seasoning on each catfish fillet.
- Coat the fillets thoroughly with cornmeal mixture and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
- Dust each fillet with 1/8 tsp of paprika.
- Coat the catfish lightly with cooking spray.
- Place baking sheet on bottom shelf of oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for about 5 minutes more, until the crust is golden and the fish flakes easily.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Well, I must agree with Teri, the previous reviewer, that if you love fried catfish but are trying to eat healthier, this is a good alternative. We liked it but didn't love it. I used Emeril's Essence for the blackening spices (not sure what was to be used). I have a cajun blend but it has so much salt that I hardly use it. I think I would have liked the salt here. Thanks for posting.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a mother of three and live in central Pennsylvania. My children were very active in after school activities and found we weren't spending anytime together at meal time. In 1998, I decided to start cooking my dinners in a crockpot so that we could have a home cooked meal together once everyone came home. My children now get so excited to see what we are having to eat and love the smell when they walk in the door. My family calls me the crock pot queen. LOL I use my crock pot everyday of the year. <br> <br>My three children are now in college and before they come home they request their favorite meal. I still continue to cook in the crock pot for my husband and I. It is nice after a long day to know your meal is ready. It also helps in keeping my grocery bill down. With zaar, I can print my shopping list and that is all I purchase is the ingredients on that list. <br> <br>Now, my two daughters have been crock pot cooking while in college. They find it is easy to cook for the themselves and their friends. It is an easy way to have friends over for dinner after classes <br> <br>I still love trying new recipes and purchasing cookbooks, especially crock pot cookbooks. <br> <br>Happy Cooking!