- Ready In:
- Shred the cabbage as finely as possible (I chop it into VERY thin strips).
- It should measure about 10 cups.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Thinly shred the onions and add to the cabbage.
- Add 1/3 of the sugar and salt and mix well.
- Let stand while cooking the dressing.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a saucepan and boil hard for 5 minutes.
- Immediately pour over the cabbage and stir very well.
- Refrigerate at LEAST one day (two or three days is preferable).
- This salad keeps well for about a week.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is great! Not the same ole boring slaw. I did add a little shaved carrot for color and doubled the mustard(hubby loves mustard). One important note..While boiling the sauce, after about 2 min the vapors kind of burn your eyes and nostrils, so make sure the hood fan is on above your stove and stand back a little.
Oh my! This is fantastic! I am used to having coleslaw that is mayo based and I don't even like mayo. So, I was excited to try this. After I added the dressing I tasted it and it seemed a bit too sweet. I was thinking 3-4 stars. I put it in the fridge for a couple of hours, tasted again and thought - definitely 4 stars. By the time I brought it out for dinner the next evening, I tasted it and it is a 5 star recipe all the way! Wonderful! BF and I both enjoyed it with our sloppy joes. (Oh, yeah, I also added some finely diced carrot simply for color. Other than that, followed to a T.) Thanks!!!!