Ukrainian Lokshyna W Cottage Cheese (Noodle and Cheese Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked fresh egg noodles
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup buttered bread crumb
- Cook the noodles as directed in the recipe for Lokshyna.
- Fry the chopped bacon until crisp, and add it along with the bacon fat to the noodles.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and mix well.
- Combine the egg with the cream and cottage cheese.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Arrange alternate layers of the noodles and cheese mixture in a buttered baking dish.
- Top with the buttered bread crumbs.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350°F) for about 40 minutes.
- Serve as a main dish with a vegetable salad.
Join The Conversation
This was a great side dish. I did make some alteration in that made it wonderfully tasty. I added 1/2 cup light sour cream and 1/2 cup 5 chesse shreded itailian cheeses. I added butter in place of the bacan fat and left out the bacon. I also used the cream, but then added 1/4 cup of milk It was a big hit!