Ukrainian Christmas Kutya ( Kutia)
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat berries, soaked in warm water for 24 hours, and then strained (kernels)
- 4 1⁄2 cups water (or more) or 4 1/2 cups milk (or more)
- 3⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 2⁄3 cup sliced roasted almonds or 2/3 cup walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup honey, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup chopped dried apricot (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- In a medium pot, combine wheat kernels and milk.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 3 hours.
- Add more liquid as necessary to keep kernels covered.
- Scald the poppy seeds with boiling water, drain, and add lukewarm water to cover.
- Soak 30 minutes, drain and grind in a food processor.
- Set aside.
- Drain water from wheat kernels and keep 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Add the honey to the liquid and mix well.
- Mix kernels, honey, ground poppy seeds, almonds, apricots, raisins, and salt.
- Bake in a 2-quart casserole dish, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Kutia may be served warm or chilled, and sprinkled with cinnamon, but it is best when prepared several days ahead of time in order for the full flavor to develop.
- Kutia can be refrigerated for up to two weeks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!