Ukrainian Christmas Kolach
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- Dissolve 1 teaspoon sugar in water and sprinkle yeast over it.
- Add 1 tablespoon sugar, stir, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Combine yeast with milk, lightly beaten eggs, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, oil, and 3 cups sifted flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until light and bubbly, about 1 hour.
- Mix in remaining flour and knead until smooth and elastic and dough leaves the side of the bowl easily.
- Form into a ball and place in lightly oiled bowl, turning once to oil the top.
- Cover with towel and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk.
- Punch down and allow to rise again slightly.
- Divide dough into 3 parts.
- On a floured work surface, divide one part into thirds, rolling each into a rope 8 to 10 inches long and 1 1/2 inch thick.
- Braid together, starting at the middle, and turn ends under.
- Repeat to make other two loaves and place on buttered baking sheets.
- Do not crowd, since loaves will double in size.
- Cover with damp towel and let rise until almost double.
- Brush with egg glaze and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375 degree F.
- at least 1 hour, until golden.
- Test by rapping the bottom; there should be a nice hollow sound.
- Cool on racks.
- Makes 3 medium loaves.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!