Ukrainian Cabbage Salad by Farida
- Ready In:
- 1 small head cabbage, about 1 pound, shredded
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 medium apple, peeled and cut into matchstick strips
- 3 -4 tablespoons chopped green onions, green parts only
- olive oil, to taste (traditionally sunflower oil is used)
- freshly squeezed juice lemon, to taste
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- sugar (optional)
- 1 1 dried barberries or 1 sour cherry
- Place the cabbage in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt.
- Mix, squeezing with your hands to soften, about a minute.
- Leave aside for 15 minutes, to allow the juices to extract. Squeeze the cabbage with your hands to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Try not to mash them. They should be tender but should still hold their shape. Place the cabbage back in the bowl.
- Add the apple and green onions. Add the olive oil, lemon juice to taste.
- Season with salt if needed (the cabbage may still have some salt, so don’t over-salt), and black pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with a little sugar, if you wish (optional).
- Toss to combine.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with berries of your choice.
- Prep time estimated and only approximately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!