Ty Cobb's Sweet Chili Con Carne With Beans
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomatoes, cut up
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained (optional)
- 2 -4 tablespoons chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In large dutch oven, sauté onion and garlic in oil.
- Add ground beef and cook till no longer pink.
- Add 1/4 cup water and other ingredients and simmer one hour or more covered, stirring frequently.
- Garnish with choice of grated cheese, chopped green onion and serve with soda or oyster crackers or corn bread.
- In Texas, we leave out the beans.
- Midwesteners may add spaghetti or rice (no kidding).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We've been making this recipe for over a year now and I can't believe I forgot to review it. Following the recipe to the letter, this is incredible! Over the year, we've adjusted the recipe a tad to account for kid tastes. We use the lesser amount of chili powder and omit the beans, rice, and spaghetti, which Chuckster indicates is optional. We have been adding a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and about 2 Tbs. of honey to mellow the crushed red pepper a bit. The kids like the heat, but the sharpness was a bit hard for them. We also add in about a cup of roasted red peppers. It's a regular meal for us and requested very often at our house. Thank you for posting this and thanks to Ty Cobb's wife for creating the recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a retired Chemical Engineer.Grew up in my Grandparents hotel and worked in the kitchen with mostly european chefs. I would like to attend a cooking school in Italy in the spring.