Two-Tone Banana Bread for Chocolate Lovers!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, lemon peel (finely shredded), baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, mashed bananas ( 5 medium ripe bananas), sugar, melted butter, and rum (in place of rum use can use milk). Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Transfer one-third of the batter (about 1-1/4 cups) to a medium bowl; fold in melted chocolate.
- Drop alternating spoonfuls of plain and chocolate batters into the prepared pan. Using a table knife or narrow metal spatula, gently cut through batters to marble.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. If necessary, cover loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing. If desired, serve with chocolate-hazelnut spread. Makes 16 servings.
Join The Conversation
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi! Jelly here! My husband and I live on the Great Plains in the coldest state (feels like it) in the country. My husband and I farm. We grow hard red spring wheat and soy beans. I raise chickens and turkeys too! I have a love for gardening (flowers, veggies, fruits, and berries) and canning, freezing, jelly making, preserving, drying herbs, cooking and baking! These are my passions! I am an avid reader and I like to write and I collect quotes and short poems. And I have a new passion or should I say "Addiction"! ZAAR!!!!! Love you all! We have a golden retriever pup! Our baby! :) Her name is Maisy! 75 pounds!!!!Also, have nine kitties - Sarah, Sebastian, Midnight, Henry, Sam, Star, Garfield, Lilly, and Zeus! Our area is rural and we have a 45 min. drive to the nearest city. It is a long trip there and back! We try to be as green as possible and recycle. We have become very conscientious of our environment. It is our children's future. We carry our our own canvas shopping bags to the market and use a cooler that we keep in the trunk or back of the pickup. No more plastic! We love life on the farm and feel very fortunate to have had so many wonderful experiences in life. Done a lot of traveling and feel satisfied. We make and bottle our own wines. They are delicious! This year's wine is working in the carboys in the basement and should be a great batch. We picked late and they were very sweet and required very little sugar. Got the jelly made and sent some to relatives and friends! It has been a tough season this year....sigh... Soybeans and wheat are harvested and in the bins! Now we hope the market is in our favor! Christmas was quiet as we had a blizzard that immobilized the state for three days...bah humbug...it took us another three days to dig out! Okay. I've had enough snow for the winter!!!! Oy vey.... A little prayer for mankind - Dear God, Bless us all in the New Year...may we have the crops to feed everyone and full bellies, good jobs, roofs over heads and a peaceful world for everyone. This is all I ask for the New Year ahead. Amen. Always, Jelly <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w490.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w490.photobucket.com/albums/rr266/Acadia/d065f045.pbw" height="300" width="400"> <img src="http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/bayhill/Zaar%20Icons%20and%20Greetings/gs2009jane.jpg"> <img src ="http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/diner_photos/lazymecookathon.jpg"> <img src="http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/Birthday%20and%20Celebration%20Images/spicesswap_amtag3.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/AMpageSticker.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/annacia/Permanent%20Banners/i-connected-125.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/RSC%20Lucky%2013/ParticipationSticker.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg">