Twice-Cooked (Refried) Beans With Cumin
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin (plus more, if desired)
- 3 -4 cups drained cooked kidney beans (can use canned)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, plus more if desired
- Add oil to a large skillet, preferably nonstick; place over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add in the onion and cook/stir until it is golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the cumin and cook/stir, 1 minute.
- Add in the beans and mash with a large fork or potato masher; continue to cook and mash, stirring, until the beans are more or less broken up (some remaining chunks are fine).
- Season with salt and pepper; add the cayenne and more cumin if you like, and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!