Tuscan Delight Soup - Bobby Flay
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta (even Deli ham will do) or 1/4 lb ham, of any type, thinly sliced (even Deli ham will do)
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, sliced
- 1⁄2 bunch swiss chard, washed and finely sliced
- 1 large potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 bouquet garni (rosemary sprigs, 4 thyme sprigs, 1 bay leaf, bunch parsley)
- 1 (14 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 cup spinach leaves, washed and coarsley chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a 4 quart pot; add the onion, celery, garlic, carrot and ham and cook until soft.
- Add the cabbage, chard, potato, zucchini, water, broth, tomatoes and bouquet garni.
- Bring soup to a gentle simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place half of beans (1-1/2 cups) in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add the puree and the whole beans to the simmering soup.
- Simmer the soup for about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You may adjust the consistency by simply adding more water.
- Ladle the soup in bowls, garnish with croutons and cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This was a really pleasant, hearty soup. I was able to use up plenty of my summer harvest in this recipe! I made this exactly as posted, chopping the pancetta finely, but did not add any croutons at the end. It also makes a lot! This soup is just full of healthy, flavorful ingredients and is great if you have the time.
This soup is very labor intensive if you chop everything by hand like I did - but it is well worth it. I used pancetta and roma tomatoes. The spices are subtle and just right. I chopped the pancetta even though it didn't say to but I couldn't see the whole slices in the soup. I didn't add croutons & Cheese at the end just served with Savory rosemary & Parmesan crackers. I ended up with 12 lunch size servings and have frozen 10. Perfect cold weather soup- it is almost a veggie stew. Great recipe 9 Apr 2010 Enjoyed just as much this time around