Turnip-Apple-Carrot Salad With Eggs
photo by Lori Mama
- Ready In:
- 1 carrot, divided
- 1⁄2 turnip, diced (about 500g)
- 2 eggs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 large apple, diced
- 1 tablespoon scallion, sliced
- 150 g yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (sage, oregano, basil, chives)
- salt and pepper
- Dice one half of the carrot and place in a pot together with diced turnip. Bring to a boil, add eggs and simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender but still crisp.
- Meanwhile slice the other half of the carrot into long strips using a vegetable peeler. Place in a big bowl and add garlic, onion, scallion and apple.
- Combine yoghurt and spices in a separate bowl and season to taste.
- When ready lift out the eggs using a slotted spoon. Rinse them with cold water, peel and dice.
- Drain veggies. Add everything to the big bowl and stir to coat.
- Eat right away while still warm or let cool and serve later.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My mind was thinking cole slaw when in fact this is more<br/>like a pumped up egg salad. I used raw carrots and raw baby<br/>turnips. Fresh herb added was cilantro. Juice of half a lemon<br/>made the ingredients "pop".A little bit of red onion was<br/>thrown in, too. Garnish of fresh chives from the garden. Made for Veg Tag/June.
This is a yummy recipe that lends itself to variation quite nicely. I made it with japanese turnips and a gala apple. I wish I had used granny smith--that would have really taken the cake. I enjoyed it on a wrap with sliced yellow peppers and spicy greens, and DH put his on butter crackers. I think next time I might try leaving the turnips raw (assuming I have young tender turnips again) and might throw in some celery for more crunch. Also a hit of vinegar might be nice...see what I mean about a great recipe for variation?!? OH, and I chose to use dill for the herbs as I had made this with dilled cucumbers and it was just perfect. Thanks, Loula! Made for Veg Swap 35.
This is soo good!!! I was skeptical with the ingredients but made it as I had them all on hand with some large rutabaga that needed to be used up. I used 2 previously hard boiled eggs, sweet onion for the small onion, Mackintosh apple, Balkan (thick) yogurt, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper plus all the rest mentioned except dried sage. I would amazingly make this again the same way!
Great salad! This was a lot less time consuming than I thought it would be, because while I was cooking the eggs and part of the vegetables, I was preparing the rest. The yoghurt mix was delightful, and if you mix the yoghurt with the rest of the salad, it becomes really creamy, as if you put mayonnaise in there!
see 3 more reviews