Turmeric and Coconut Poached Barramundi
- Ready In:
- 2 stalks lemongrass, outer layers removed, trimmed & sliced finely
- 3 stalks coriander, roots trimmed & leaves separated
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons palm sugar, grated
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup fish stock
- 4 barramundi fillets, can use other firm white fish
- 1 bunch choy sum, trimmed & cut into 10cm lengths
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- To make spice paste, place lemongrass and coriander roots in mortar and crush to a paste with pestle.
- Add ground turmeric, ginger, cumin, palm sugar and fish sauce. Grind to combine.
- To make sauce, heat vegetable oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry paste for 2 mins until fragrant.
- Stir in onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and fish stock; bring to a simmer.
- To cook fish, gently lay fish into sauce and cover saucepan with lid. Reduce heat to medium and poach fish for 4 mins until nearly cooked.
- Add choy sum, recover pan and cook a further 4 mins, until tender.
- To serve, garnish fish with coriander leaves and green onions. Serve with steamed rice and lime wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Live 1 hour north of Sydney, Australia with my husband, Steve. We both work in Sydney, where I work in the Human Resources department of a charity doing IT work. I barely pick up cookbooks these days, as I cook almost exclusively out of Recipezaar - DH loves the quality & variety of recipes we have now. I've met some lovely people through Zaar in person & in the forums. When I was in Toronto, Canada in October 2007, I had the thrill of meeting & having dinner with ~Leslie~, AnnieCan and Irmagard and their DHs for dinner. This was a fabulous night & everyone was so lovely & welcoming. <IMG src="http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa1/heydarl/Photos/IMG_0956.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/fg.jpg" border="0" alt="F and G Swap"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/hiswap.jpg" border="0" alt="H and I"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/homepage/ZWT4-CuisinePorter.gif"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/ff-zwt4.jpg"> <img src="http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/Swap14.JPG"> <a href="http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/?action=view¤t=thetassiedevilsbanner.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/thetassiedevilsbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/RecipeSwap2.JPG" width=75%> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif"> <img src="http://members.aol.com/sdnt4life/floozies.jpg">