Turkey Sausage and Sweet Potato Stew
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
My sister made this and I got to sample it. Adapted from BHG recipe. I love sweet potatoes and thought it was very good.
- Ready In:
- 10hrs 40mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs smoked turkey sausage
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 2 cups beef broth (may use low-sodium)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cut sausage in half lenghthwise, then slice into 1-inch slices.
- Add sausage, sweet potato, bell pepper, celery, onion, and tapioca to a 4-quart slow-cooker; stir to combine.
- Add the chickpeas, undrained tomatoes, beef broth, and worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was one of the most unusal, but tasty stews I've ever made! BF really loved this. The colors were just eye-popping. I did substitute the green pepper with a red one and didn't use the tapioca. I also used sweet italian sauasage. Anyhow, it was really yummy- very fresh tasting. I actually made this stovetop rather than stockpot- I sauteed the onions and celery and pepper, then added the potatoes and tomatoes and sausage and simmered til done- Easy! I used homemade vegetable stock rather than beef broth too. Since I didn't use the tapioca it was a tad thin for a stew by my standards, so I smooshed some of the potatoes with my potato masher at the end of the cook time, which worked just great. Sweet, sort of tangy, just altogether wonderfully unique! Thanks, NurseDi for a real switch from the norm!Reply