Turkey or Chicken Layered Casserole
A wonderful recipe to use up any leftover chicken or turkey and day old bread too.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 large onion, chopped (can use 6-8 chopped green onions)
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 2 -4 tablespoons oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken (can use less) or 2 1/2 cups cooked turkey, cubed (can use less)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper
- 14 slices day-old bread, cubed
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided (or to taste)
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a skillet sauté onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic in oil until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Transfer the veggies to a large bowl.
- Add in cooked chicken or turkey, both cheeses, mayonnaise, parsley salt and pepper; mix to combine.
- Place half of the bread cubes in the prepared baking dish.
- Top with the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle with about 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a bowl beat eggs with a whisk; add in milk or half and half cream (if using) undiluted soup and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour over the casserole.
- Sprinkle with about 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (can sprinkle with grated cheddar also).
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I tagged this for zaar tag. This was very easy to assemble. It reminded me of an egg souffle my mom use to make for christmas. I enjoyed this. Next time I will add more spices cause this was just a tad bland. I want to try it with ham in it. I LOVE LOVE the cheese. Also love how it puffed up while it cooked. Thanks for another great recipe! KarenReply