- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs, soft
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the egs, milk, lemon juice, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Add the bread crumbs, spinach and reserved onion; stir to combine. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix until blended.
- Shape mixture into a 12x5-inch loaf; place in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.Spoon salsa over top.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 mintues. Drizzle with butter; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Excellent! So moist and delicious. I followed the recipe exactly with the exception of using Barbeque sauce to top the meatloaf instead of salsa because I did not have any this time. Will try with the salsa the next time. Keeper recipe.<br/>Update: This is my go to meatloaf recipe. The last time I skipped the milk and used 1/2 cup of Italian bread crumb and I love the texture of the meatloaf.
Dee-lish!!! However....suggest you cut the recipe in half, and add salsa not only on top, but in the mixture as well. I will definitely make this recipe again, but will add shredded cheese into the mix....i think that was the only thing that was missing. It was a hit with my boyfriend, who is THE fussiest eater on earth :-) Oh - and I also added some minced garlic with the onions.