Turkey Burger Mac N' Cheese
photo by Mary Jenny
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups hot milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon each salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups lightly packed shredded old cheddar cheese
- 500 g cooked elbow macaroni
- 793 g diced seasoned tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- In large, non–stick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Brown turkey until fully cooked, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Transfer to plate.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Stir in onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook just until fragrant, but not browned, about one minute. Whisk in flour, and cook until it combines with the flour in a thick paste, about one minute. Continue whisking and slowly pour in milk. Bring to boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer, whisking often, until sauce is thick, about 10 minutes. Whisk in Dijon, salt and fresh cracked pepper. Whisk in cheddar until smooth. Stir in noodles, reserved turkey with any accumulated juices and diced tomatoes. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch (32.5 x 23 cm) baking dish. Sprinkle with crumbs and bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until the sauce is bubbling and top is golden, about 30 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!