Turkey and Spinach Bites
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 16 ounces frozen chopped spinach (defrosted, drained, and squeezed to remove excess water)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (made stiff for piping)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare two muffin tins (for a total of 24 pieces) by spraying with cooking spray and line each tin with parchment paper cups.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, heat olive oil in a large skillet and add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Sauté until onion is tender (about 5-6 minutes total time).
- Add spinach to pan and combine with onion mixture. Add Worcestershire sauce and chicken broth and mix well to combine. Cook until most of the liquid has reduced and the mixture is totally solid. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, 3/4 cup of the bread crumbs, and egg. Combine with your hands and then add in the spinach mixture. Mix to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins nearly to the top of each tin, and gently smooth down surface. Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs and bake until cooked through with an internal temperature of 160 degrees F - about 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before piping or dolloping small mounds of mashed potato on top.
Join The Conversation