Tuna With Olives and Tomatoes
- Ready In:
4 tuna steaks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (6 ounce) tuna steaks, each 6 oz and 3/4 inch thick
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup full-bodied red wine, such as merlot
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄3 cup green olives or 1/3 cup black olives
- 1 tablespoon small caper, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh basil
- In a large frying pan over high heat, warm 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season tuna with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and sear over high heat, turning once, just until golden (about 3 minutes). Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to pan and reduce heat to medium-high. Add onion and saute until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, wine, red pepper, olives, and capers. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in pine nuts.
- Return tuna to the pan, spooning the sauce over it. Cook, occaisionaly spooning sauce back over tuna, until tuna is opaque throughout and the sauce is slightly reduced, 7-10 minutes.
- Transfer tuna steaks and sauce to warmed plates and sprinkle with basil. Serve at once.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!